I have probably had these two matchbox sizes light meters for over 30 years. They were a common find in second hand and antique shops and fairly cheap back in the 80’s. My guess is the design dates back to the 60’s.
The one on the right looks far more complicated but it is displays the same information as the one on the left. I used to use them but they require a little more thought and time than an in camera meter.
Out of respect I used my Calcuflash incident light meter to set the exposure for this image. I bought it back in the 80’s too and you can still buy them today.
Continuing with the theme of putting odd vintage lenses onto modern digital cameras this week I took the screw mount 50mm prime from off an old Praktica SX SLR sitting on my shelf, gave it a clean and tried it out.
The results were what I would expect with sharpness and contrast being particularly noticeable. The softness is not necessarily a bad thing unless you want high fidelity. In hindsight should have taken a newer lens with me and repeated the images for comparison but the weather just closed back in.
Older lenses are far more compact compared to their all singing, all dancing autofocus cousins but they are more tricky to fine focus unless you do so with the aperture open at 2.8. I can see the attraction for digital natives that never really used film or manual focus cameras. Having grown up with that technology I found this more nostalgic than novel.
One assessment done, two to go. Feeling kind of drained today, so I have been pottering around, tidying up piles of accumulated stuff and generally mucking about.
I did mention expecting a small parcel last week. It contained a rather simple piece of engineering that allows me to attach an enlarger lens to my camera. Fitting older lenses to modern cameras has become a bit of a thing, a spin-off of the hipster, retro, Holga users movement. Having kept most of my old lenses and collected a few more over the years, I thought it may be interesting to put some to work. I also used to use enlarger lenses for macro work as they are pretty sharp and designed to work at close distances.
There is a bit of effort required as exposure and focus is manual and there is math in working out compensation for extension tubes and the like but unlike the film days I can delete the failures and move on.
I’m thinking this retro approach could form part of the current machines and technology theme.